After having worked out most of the lower level audio processing components in rogue I started to improve the GUI.
I wanted to customize the appearance of the Gtk GUI, but had some problems to apply theming so I considered looking at Qt as an alternative. I was quickly convinced by Qt and converted the full GUI to Qt.
All in all the advantages of Qt over Gtk are
- easier theming, at least compared to Gtk 2.*
- better designer tools
- a dial widget to start from
- C++ based programming model
Some disadvantages are
- integer range for dial widget
- build time metamodel and C++ syntax extensions
The UI is quite flat and I tried to make it usable and informative. Here is a sketch of the current state
I might still slim it down to something like this
The modulation part is not yet very usable and there is lots of empty space, but otherwise I am quite content with the current state.